Resources for the copyeditor, copywriter, small business owner, and academic in you….
Here are some of my favorite online resources. I’ve included links to copyediting and copywriting resources, as well as links for small business owners. I do not receive any sort of commission from sharing this information with you – every website listed here comes straight from the heart (well, technically they all come from my “Bookmarks” folder). Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any good recommendations for other folks reading this site (no spam, please).
Resources for Copyeditors and Copywriters
- The Editorial Freelancers Association: Anything and everything you ever needed to know about being a copyeditor and copywriter.
- Elance: If you’re new to copyediting and are looking to build up your client list, Elance is a great place to start. Some of my best clients have come from Elance. *Update* Elance is now Upwork.com.
- Copyediting.com: The name says it all, really.
- Copyblogger: A site chock full of information for copywriters, ebook writers, podcasters, etc.
- Mediabistro: Job postings, education, articles, and all the information you need to get into writing and editing.
- Grammar Girl: This site is great for explaining even the most complex grammatical concepts.
Resources for Small Business Owners
- IttyBiz: Nearly all that I have learned about business and marketing has come from the fine folks at IttyBiz. They offer online classes and keep a very useful blog.
- Smart Passive Income: Pat Flynn is a bit of a hero for many of us entrepreneurs and small business owners. The SPI podcast is awesome, and his website is a treasure trove of useful information. Check it.
- Canva: A wonderful (mostly) free resource for the design-challenged. A great place to make professional looking images for our businesses, websites, and social media posts.
- Mailchimp: Automate your emails with this (mostly) free email service provider. I’ve been making my monthly newsletters with this site.
- Hootsuite: For those looking to branch out into social media (or, “Social” as the kids call it these days), check out Hootsuite to automate all your posts.
- Death to the Stock Photo: Go here if you’re looking for some more professional images for your site or social media posts.
- Amy Porterfield: Amy’s website and podcast are so useful for small business owners and entrepreneurs who are looking to up their digital marketing efforts. This is a great resource for all things digital marketing.
Resources for Academics *coming soon*
- Applying to college? Check out my other resources page.
Just some of my favorite blogs
- Alan Rinzler: This guy knows his stuff. If you’re an author looking for a quality editor, I suggest you check him out. I’m a big fan of his blog.
- Jack Limpert: The editor of The Washingtonian has something to say.
- The Oatmeal: Both educational and ridiculous.